Construction of the Final Cover System for the Old Los Banos Landfill
Advertisement for Bids
CITY OF LOS BANOS
520 J Street
Los Banos, California 93635
Notice is hereby given that separate sealed bids for the award of contract for the Construction of the Final Cover System for the Old Los Banos Landfill will be received by the City of Los Banos at the office of the City Clerk until 2:00 p.m. Pacific Daylight Savings Time September 1, 2022 and then at said office publicly opened and read aloud.
In general, the scope of work consists of, but is not limited to, furnishing all materials, labor, and equipment required to complete the following work:
• Excavation and stockpiling of clean cover soil;
• Excavation and stockpiling of impacted soil and waste material. Excavation shall extend to a depth corresponding with the bottom of the foundation layer as shown on the approved closure plan;
• Proof-roll underlying waste/soil with a heavy rubber-tired vehicle (loaded water truck, loaded scraper etc.) or other approved equipment to ensure a relatively firm and unyielding condition subgrade;
• Backfill select waste and impacted soil, moisture conditioning to +/- 2% of optimum and compacting to 90% of maximum dry density as determined by ASTM D 1557;
• Install low hydraulic conductivity layer (LHCL), filling clean soil (stockpiled on-site) mixed with 3% Western Clay powdered bentonite (by weight) to attain a hydraulic conductivity value of less than 1×10-6 centimeters, moisture conditioning to +/- 2% of optimum and compacting to 93% of maximum dry density as determined by ASTM D 1557;
• Install erosion-resistant layer, placing asphaltic concrete per Section 39 of the Caltrans Standard Specifications (2018 Edition) to the elevations and slopes shown on the approved closure plan;
• Construct concrete vee-gutter, curbing and curb and gutter as shown on the approved closure plan;
• Install drainage inlets and sump discharge structures as shown on the approved closure plan;
• Construct drainage swales and grade adjacent clean soil ground surface to the elevations and slopes shown on the approved closure plan;
• Install ¾” drainage rock as shown on the approved closure plan; and
• Transport all remaining impacted soil and waste material offsite for final disposal.
For additional details please see the “Final Cover System Closure and Post-Closure Maintenance Plan, Old Los Banos Landfill, Mercey Springs Road, Los Banos, California” by BSK Associates of Fresno, California dated January 10, 2020, (BSK Project E19-049-01F) as seen in Attachment A.
The time for completion shall be approximately forty-five (45) working days.
The Contract Documents, in their entirety, can be viewed and/or obtained from the City of Los Banos website at www.losbanos.org or at the following locations:
Central California Builders Exchange (www.cencalbx.com)
Builders Exchange of Stockton (www.besonline.com)
Valley Builders Exchange, Inc. (www.valleybx.com)
Builders Exchange of Santa Clara County (www.bxscco.com)
Dodge Data & Analytics (www.construction.com/plans/)
A payment bond prepared and executed in accordance with California Civil Code Section 9550 and a bond for faithful performance of the contract will be required of the successful bidder who is awarded the contract.
The successful bidder must comply with the latest general prevailing rate of per diem wages as determined by the Director of Industrial Relations, State of California, Department of Industrial Relations and is to be paid to the various craftsmen and laborers required to construct said improvements and is made a part of the specifications and contract for said work to which reference is hereby made for further particulars.
No contractor or subcontractor may be listed on a bid proposal or awarded a contract for public work on a public works project unless registered with the Department of Industrial Relations pursuant to Labor Code section 1725.5.
This project is subject to compliance monitoring and enforcement by the Department of Industrial Relations. Contractor registration information can be found at:
Each bid shall be accompanied by cashier’s or certified check or by a bidder’s bond, made payable to the City of Los Banos and executed by a corporate surety licensed to issue surety bonds in the State of California, for an amount equal to at least ten percent (10%) of the amount of said bid and no bid shall be considered unless such cashier’s or certified check or bidder’s bond is enclosed therewith.
The successful bidder of this project shall have the following current and active California State Contractor’s License at the time of the submission of the bid and throughout the duration of the contract: Engineering Class A, with a C-12, HAZ Specialty Classification, and licensed hazardous waste hauler for transportation of remaining soil waste material.
Prospective bidders are required to attend a mandatory pre-bid meeting on August 18, 2022 at 10:30 am. The meeting will be held at the Public Works Madison office located at 411 Madison Ave., Los Banos, CA 93635. There will be an optional jobsite tour after the meeting.
Bids will not be considered from bidders who were not physically in attendance at the mandatory pre-bid meeting.
Bidders shall refer to the Contract Document’s Information for Bidders for complete instructions.
Bidders are solely responsible for the cost of preparing their bids.
The City specifically reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to reject any or all bids, to re-bid, or to waive inconsequential defects, in bidding not involving time, or quality of the work. The City may reject any and all bids and waive any minor irregularities in the bids.